Sunday, April 17, 2011

Photography

I love Australia: while typing this I am sitting in a cafe at a food court in Melbourne central. There is wi-fi everywhere so you can put your laptop on the table and work on whatever while sipping on coffee.

The coffee loves me too.

My roommate and I had just been visiting someone who is taking care of a Seeing Eye Dog in training. I met him and his pup Niko at the training ground of Seeing Eye Dogs Australia. For my photography course I have to take documentary/narrative photos and I thought this organization and their work would be an interesting and fun choice for that assignment. It has been a great experience; I got to see all the little cute puppies and also the older dogs that are much further in their training.

Taking photos has not been easy, I am still learning the technique and I need to get a better feeling of when to take shots and why.

Puppy training at Seeing Eye Dogs Australia.

More puppies. I won't use these for the photography assignment because they don't tell a story. I post them only for cuteness reasons.

Niko getting rewarded for being a good little dog.

For another photography assignment I took shots of birds in a park near the city. It was the first "shoot" I did and I did not chose the easiest one; the birds flew everywhere and never sat still. It felt like I was running around like crazy, adjusting my camera for every shot, trying to get the right picture. When I presented some of those photos in class my teacher advised me to take pictures in the zoo where the animals sit still and I had more time or opportunities to capture their character. I guess that was a silent hint... I enjoy the course though: because I'm such a beginner I get to learn a lot. A few of the bird photos:

1 comment:

  1. Photography is not always super easy indeed.
    ;-)
    Seeing Eye Dogs Australia looks like a great subject for documentary photography and I especially like your first photograph. I'm curious about the finished / complete work.

    ReplyDelete